Second Home Insurance provided by Browne Insurance Services
Maybe you have a cabin in the mountains, a lake house or a beach cottage. Whether your vacation home is used as a weekend getaway or a seasonal retreat, it’s a special place you want to protect. Talk to us to know about a variety of coverage options.
What is Secondary Home Insurance?
If you own a second home, you will need to protect it with a homeowners insurance policy that is separate from that of your primary residence. Homeowners insurance for second homes includes all the same coverages as that of your primary home, but insuring a secondary residence tends to cost more due to the heightened risk of insurance claims. How often your vacation home is vacant, where it is located, and whether you rent it out will all affect your rates.
What are the types of Secondary Home Insurance Coverage?
A second home insurance policy will provide the following coverages:
- Dwelling coverage– Covers the structure of your secondary residence against perils like fire, weather-related damage, and theft
- Other structures coverage– Covers additional structures on your property, including gardening sheds, garages, and boat docks
- Personal property coverage– Covers personal belongings in your second home, such as furniture, clothing, kitchenware, and more
- Loss of use coverage– Covers additional living expenses in the event your second home becomes uninhabitable due to a covered loss and you need to live somewhere else temporarily
- Personal liability coverage– Covers legal and medical expenses if you’re held legally responsible for someone else’s injury or property damage
- Medical payments coverage– Covers guests’ medical expenses if they sustain a minor injury on your property
Why is Secondary Home Insurance important?
Second homes provide a respite from weekday life, and may even be a good investment. They also, however, present more of an insurance risk than your primary residence—the fact that you don’t not physically occupy your second home as frequently puts it in more danger for theft, vandalism and easily undetected damage, like burst water pipes.
Ready to find the right coverage for your vacation home? Reach out us and we are ready to help you discover the coverages you need to make sure your second home is properly protected.